St. Thomas Indian Mission Catholic Church
Requirements for Infant Baptism
In order to have a child baptized at St. Thomas Indian Mission Catholic Church, the parents must be among its parishioners. Parishioners of St. Thomas Indian Mission are those who live within the geographical boundaries of Winterhaven (those whose zip code is 92283) as well as those who may not be living within the geographical boundaries of Winterhaven but are regularly attending Mass here and are registered as regularly contributing members.
Moreover, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- A completed baptism form (Form B-1) to be submitted by parent(s) or legal guardian;
- A copy of the child’s birth certificate;
- The child must be under the age of 7; if the child is 7 years old or older, the child must first participate in the Rite of Christian Initiation for Children (catechism classes) for two years;
- The godparents must have received the sacraments of Baptism, First Communion, and Confirmation, and must be in good moral character, living a life of faith;
- One godparent (male/female) is sufficient, but there may be two, one of each sex (ref Canon Law # 873-874)
- Godparents that live with partners as a couple must be married in the catholic church;
- Godparents must be at least 16 years of age;
- Godparents that belong to a different parish are required to complete Form B-2;
- If the parents of the child to be baptized are not married in the Catholic Church or if the parent is a single mother or single father, the godparents of the child must be a couple married in the Catholic Church.
- The parents and godparents are required to participate in a pre-baptism class.